Settlement for damages following an accident is unique to each situation. It’s tempting to cut further costs and attempt to handle your claim yourself, but you do yourself a disservice by going it alone. A personal injury lawyer can help you get the maximum value of your claim, and the benefits of hiring a professional negate the costs.
How Much Is My Personal Injury Claim?
The impacts of a car accident or workplace injury over which you have little control are scary. Financial effects on an injury victim may include:
- Medical expenses including past, current and future surgeries, hospitalizations, therapies, prescriptions and rehabilitation.
- Lost income or earning capacity – Medical treatment, recovery and trauma may require time off work, potentially a leave of absence. Serious injuries may mean not being able to work again.
Online multipliers can give the fair value of your claim for economic losses. What about the impact of the accident on your quality of life? How do you quantify these types of damages:
- Physical pain and suffering.
- Emotional distress and trauma.
- Loss of consortium from loved ones.
- Loss of enjoyment of life.
Trying to represent the value of these non-economic damages is subjective, making these harder to fight for and prove in settlement negotiations.
An experienced personal injury attorney has a reasonable idea of what you can ask for and expect to win. Consult a lawyer with expert medical professional connections to get an accurate estimate of the value of your case. You deserve total compensatory damages for your suffering, not an amount that will run out before your medical care ends.
Factors Affecting Your Personal Injury Settlement
An accident lawyer has seen it all when negotiating personal injury cases. Having one of these professionals in your corner means no surprises await when you file your claim.
Elements impacting your personal injury lawsuit may include:
- Fault – California is a comparative negligence state, so you can receive damages proportional to your role in what happened. An accident lawyer can argue the other’s part in matters such as slip and fall injuries or premises liability cases.
- Statute of limitations – The specific period for filing usually begins on the accident date. Get started immediately, even if injuries seem minor, to avoid running out of time.
- The severity of your injuries – Catastrophic injuries, property damage, wrongful death, or trauma increase the value of your claim. Truck, bicycle, pedestrian or motorcycle accidents often involve more significant casualties.
- Recovery time – Permanent disabilities and loss of earning capacity increase economic damages. Associated costs may include rehabilitation, lifestyle alterations, and long-term pain.
- Failure to mitigate damages on your part can affect your claim. See a doctor immediately and follow medical advice to avoid exacerbating your condition.
- Insurance coverage – Insurance adjusters purposely underestimate your expenses to avoid a payout. They may argue that you’re responsible, you had a pre-existing health condition, or that you are misrepresenting your damages. If the other party is uninsured, you may have to file a claim against your insurance policy. Remember, these large companies are in business for profit, not to protect you.
- Evidence – To argue liability, you need solid facts that prove negligence by the other party. Attorneys can provide legal advice on what to gather. They are connected to expert witnesses to support your argument to win a trial verdict.
This list isn’t exhaustive, but it is daunting. Personal injury claims are difficult to pursue, and receiving money for your pain takes time.
Is My Personal Injury Claim Worth It?
This is a question only you can answer. You are the expert on what you have lost in the aftermath of an accident. Besides the apparent effects of an accident on your life, there are many things to consider. Mova Law Group recommends a free consultation with one of our experienced attorneys. We will review your accident case and establish a realistic estimate of your damages.
Filing a personal injury suit can help you regain the money spent on medical costs. You may feel empowered and able to take back control of your life.
Working with an experienced personal injury lawyer maximizes the amount of compensation you may receive. Attorneys won’t lowball your settlement amount as an insurance company will. We handle the draining and complicated legal process, giving you time to return to living your life.
Experienced legal representation is more likely to win larger settlements than when accident victims represent themselves. You don’t have to invest in us up-front either. The law firm of Mova Law Group operates on a contingency fee basis, so we only collect payment when the settlement satisfies you.
So, what is your personal injury claim worth? Wouldn’t you agree that you owe it to yourself to find out? At no risk or initial obligation, as well as a higher likelihood of success, the benefits outweigh any potential drawbacks. Contact Mova Law Group today to learn more.